Firearms Licensing Applications are accepted on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of every month from 8 A.M. to 12 P.M at the Winthrop Police Department. If that Sunday falls on a holiday then applications will be accepted on the Saturday before from 8 A.M. to 12 P.M. The schedule can change due to unforeseen circumstances. If there is a change a notice will be placed at the police station.
When you come to the police station for Fireams Licensing Processing:
- If you are a first time applicant you must pass a firearm safety course prior to submitting an application and bring proof that you have passed the course to your application processing.
- You must present your completed application in person to the FIREARMS OFFICER and STAY for processing. Applications will not be accepted any other times.
- You must have a picture ID., i.e. Massachusetts drivers license or state ID card and a bill (gas, electric, etc,) confirming your name and address.
- A fee of one hundred dollars (S100.00) is applicable for class A License to Carry and a Class C FID card. A check or money order should be made payable to the “Town of Winthrop.” NO CASH is accepted. This is a STATE regulated fee.
- There is no charge for persons seventy (70) years of age or older for renewal.
All correspondence with the firearms license office is done via email to [email protected]
The state of Massachusetts has additional information on the Commonwealth’s Firearms laws